A+ A A-

3rd Meeting of the Executive Council (Brno, Czech Republic, March 3, 2007)

  • Published: Friday, 06 February 2009 11:46
  • Written by Super User

Third Annual Meeting of the Executive Council of the CEACS/AECEC

Brno, Czech Republic

3 March 2007

MINUTES

Present:

Executive Committee

Janos Kenyeres (JK) – President

Diana Yankova (Bulgaria) – Vice-President

Jason Blake (JB) – Secretary

Don Sparling (DS) – Treasurer

Katalin Kurtosi (KK) – Editor-in-Chief, Central European Journal of Canadian Studies

Executive Council

Czech Republic – Petr Kylousek (PK)

Hungary – Judit Molnar (JM)

Slovenia – Michelle Gadpaille (MG)

Romania – Rodica Albu (RA)

Serbia – Vesna Lopocic (VL)

Slovakia – Maria Rupprechtova (MR)

Bulgaria – Reni Yotova (RY)

Excused : Croatia – Evaine Le Calve-Ivicevic (ECI)

1. Opening

The meeting was opened at 9:30 a.m.

2. Adoption of agenda

The agenda was passed unanimously.

3. Approval of reports

2nd General Meeting (Debrecen, Hungary, 28 October 2006)

The report was approved. It can be found on the CEACS website.

2nd Annual Meeting of the Executive Council (Debrecen, Hungary, 29 October

2006)

The report was approved. It can be found on the CEACS website.

4.  Status of CEACS’s application to become a full member association of the

ICCS

JK read Guy LeClair’s (ICCS) e-mail, which states that our application is “satisfactory” and will be voted on at the ICCS meeting in May in Edmonton. JK noted advantages of being a full member: as full members have voting rights within ICCS, our voice is better heard.

5.  CE Association for Canadian Studies – Overview of current activities

5.1  Activities of the Executive Committee

JK reminded us of our roles and duties in the Executive Committee or Executive Council. DS said that the list of duties should be e-mailed to members.

5.2  Membership and membership fee

DS reported that we now have 215 members (171 academics, 35 students, 6 ‘others’); DS also noted that the strict Feb. 15 deadline for membership applications was generally adhered to.

5.2.1 Membership from outside the CEACS region

JK reported that some Canadianists in the Ukraine are interested in joining our group. JK applauded the extension of CEACS, but expressed concern about potential extra expenses (i.e. if they become a full member, ExCOM and ExCouncil meetings will be more expensive). MG mentioned interest from a Canadianist in Turkey. DS noted the term “Central Europe” could not be extended indefinitely; also that an ‘International’ category of membership already by custom exists. PK stated that a combination of closed borders and open categories could potentially become unwieldy for CEACS. For now, these members will exist as ‘International’ members – i.e. members with full membership rights, but with no representation on the Executive Council.

5.3  Country reports

JB noted that the country reports are not entirely uniform, but that all necessary bibliographical and university information is transparent. It was agreed that this is acceptable. JK mentioned that country reports should go to the local Embassies; this is the responsibility of the national representative. JB pointed out that the country reports are not limited to academic activities. It was mentioned that the Embassies should be provided with a ‘media list’ of experts from our organization who can be contacted by journalists about Canadian issues.

5.4  Grants and awards

DY described the procedures and adjudication process for obtaining grants.

5.4.1    CEACS grants and awards

In future Petr Vurm will send confirmation of received applications via e-mail.

5.4.1.1  Travel grants to attend conferences

JK mentioned that members are not eligible to receive funding for the CEACS conference (i.e. for ‘our’ conference), but it was noted that in the past the Embassies have provided generous support for these conferences. JK noted the need for clarity in stating members cannot receive grants in consecutive fiscal years. DS clarified the conditions of the Grainau conference, namely that speakers are by invitation only, and that for more than ten years the Association for Canadian Studies in German-speaking Countries (GKS) has generously reserved places for Central European Canadianists (currently 5 CEACS members and one from the Polish Association for Canadian Studies), despite limited space and high demand from its own members. At the wish of the GKS, preference should be given to those who have never attended Grainau, though if some time had elapsed since an individual was there s/he should also be considered eligible; it was also mentioned that members should not be discouraged from attending because the topics appear irrelevant to them (i.e. “Constitutional Affairs” could include a literary element, etc.).

5.4.1.2  Research grants to Brno

(see Executive Committee minutes)

5.4.1.3  Class-set grants

MG noted a problem with applying for a class-set grant, namely that one applies for the books after having designed one’s course based on the assumption or hope that the books will be awarded. JK asked whether we should keep the class-set program, as it comes from the same budget as the library support program (i.e. more class-sets means fewer library books). It was noted that eligibility should be restricted to prevent the same people frequently receiving class-set grants (as has been the practice in the past). PK suggest that the national chapters should decide on allocation of class-sets, as they are better aware of needs within a country; however, it was pointed out that this was not practical, as the funding for the class-set (and the whole library support programme) applies to the region as a whole rather than to individual countries.  It was agreed that the class-set program should continue for now.

5.4.1.4  Certificate of Merit

It was agreed that the Certificate can be awarded in various categories (teaching, research, translation, etc.). These will be awarded at the triennial conferences. DS said a document with criteria for eligibility should be prepared.

5.4.2    ICCS /Government of Canada grants and awards

5.4.2.1 FEP and FRP grants

JB and DS explained the application and adjudication process. DS mentioned that we have been applauded in Ottawa for the feedback we give after the FEP/FRP grants.

We adjourned for lunch at 12.30 p.m. (After lunch there was a brief of Brno).

The meeting re-commenced at 3.40 p.m.

5.4.2.2 Graduate Student Scholarships, Best Doctoral Thesis in Canadian Studies

It was clarified that any graduate students who are members of the CEACS can apply for a GSS grant; however, because these are exceptionally competitive awards, only exceptional MA (and PhD) students should apply. For the Best Doctoral Thesis award, the PhD must have been successfully defended within the preceding two years; a 15-20 page résumé must be submitted.

5.4.3    Other

VL asked about faculty exchanges to Canada; DS mentioned that this can occur only through individual university exchange programs.

5.5  New activities

5.5.1    Summer schools

MG described the existing English/Philosophy summer school at the University of Maribor (Slovenia) and suggested a Canadian focus might be introduced in 2008.

5.5.2    Diaspora Project

VL introduced a plan for the Diaspora Project, which was discussed at length. RA mentioned that she has a possible publisher for our research. MG recommended beginning the project with a website. PK noted that a standardized survey for emigration from the region to Canada is an excellent idea. VL said she would prepare a revised version of her project plan.

5.5.3    Others

DS presented the idea of a ‘Brno Forum,’ namely a concentration of Canadian Studies courses – with visiting lecturers – which could be carried out within the Erasmus program during a semester at Masaryk University. This could occur in Fall 2008.

5.6  Cooperation with the member countries, ENCS and PACS

DS noted the need for official Executive Committee or Council representation at conferences within the region. VL will say a few words on behalf of CEACS at the May conference in Pag; for other upcoming conferences, the speaker will be determined.

5.7  CEACS Constitution

JK suggested changing the name of the Executive Council to “Advisory Board” for sake of clarity. The proposal to vote electronically – i.e. via e-mail – to make constitutional changes was unanimously passed.

6. Canadian Studies internationally: Extension of the Canadian Studies Program

JK stated that he, as President will represent CEACS at the May 2007 ICCS meeting in Edmonton. JK also reiterated the importance of information flow in Canadian studies back to Ottawa. Local Embassies should be au courant of our activities; a media list of experts should be provided to aid journalists in the individual countries.

7.  New initiatives – to be discussed in working groups, followed by joint discussion

7.1  CEACS activities

MG mentioned the potential Canadian Studies summer school in Maribor. VL noted that we must make sure that Canadians Studies conferences in the region do not conflict in future.

7.2. CEACS website – introduction of new features and detailed information to           improve information-flow

JK praised the CEACS website, stressed its importance, and suggested improvements to it – especially keeping information – e-mail addresses, profiles, etc. – up to date. CEACS journal articles will be published on-line in future, with a two-year time delay.

8. Activities of the CE Canadian Studies Secretariat in Brno

DS noted that fewer students had research stays in Brno in 2006. This was attributed to a lack of publicity. He proposed to send out announcements of the possibility more frequently in future.

9.  Publications

9.1 Debrecen conference proceedings

JM mentioned that the new deadline is March 9. MG offered to proofread the articles. It was decided that, although this was a smallish conference, there should nevertheless be blind review. KK said the initial reading (i.e. before the proofreading stage) should be finished by the end of June. The need for a French language editor was highlighted. To save space, there will be no abstracts in these conference proceedings. The volume should appear in early 2008.

9.2 CE Journal of Canadian Studies, Vol. 6

KK reminded all that we skipped one journal issue because of the Debrecen conference proceedings. She also emphasized that all national representatives should ensure each member receives a journal, and that Volume 4 had to be reprinted to accommodate demand. She expressed the need for a new member to be added to the Editorial Board in the place of the late Nancy Burke. As this is a joint journal, both CEACS and Polish representation should be present.

9.3 Proceedings of graduate seminars (York, Graz)

DS said the York proceedings will be out in one month. The Graz proceedings should appear in time for the next graduate seminar, to be held in St Petersburg in September.

9.4 Distribution

DS reported that all members should receive a copy of the association journal (as well as proceedings of the association’s triennial conference); in addition, extra copies would go to centres/universities. As well, copies of Canadian Studies in Europe (the proceedings of the graduate student seminar) would go to centres/universities. As far as possible copies would be distributed at major events (conferences, seminars); lists would be kept of those who had received their copies, and copies for the remaining members would be sent to embassies in the region with precise instructions on whom they were intended for. KK noted that country representatives should also have accurate lists to ensure that all members receive the literature they deserve.

10. Financial report

10.1  Financial report to end of February 2007

DS presented the Financial report. He noted that postage costs were up because we had to send FRP/FEP grant applications via DHL, as well as several boxes with publications to embassies in the region.

10.2  Financial report estimate to end of fiscal year (31 March 2007)

DS presented a preliminary report that anticipated funds remaining in the account at the end of the fiscal year. These would be earmarked for various purposes (preliminary work on the Debrecen proceedings, conference grants, etc.) and carried over into the next fiscal year.

10.3  Budget request for fiscal year 2007/2008

The budget request will be approximately the same as for the previous year. VL noted that we will need some funds for the Diaspora Project.

10.4  Auditors’ report

The auditor’s report was presented. Notable changes: CEACS should acquire a credit card, as this will facilitate transactions in our many currencies; we will also try to find a less expensive bank. DS mentioned that PK will have signing rights on the CEACS bank account.

11.  Next meeting of Executive Council

The idea of a joint Executive Council/Executive Committee/FRP/FEP grant committee meeting was rejected because it would be too long for those involved in all three, and also because the early-January FRP/FEP deadlines are inconvenient for most. The ExCom/ExCouncil meeting will be in February or March 2008.

12.  AOB

There was no other business.

13. Closing

The meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.